Pages

Tuesday 17 January 2017

Scales of Deception

By Keona Tann


So just what is deception? One definition is that deception is a trick or a scheme used to get what you want. Such as the deception you used to get your sibling to agree to do your jobs for you. If we look at the Latin origin two meaning are used – ‘from’ and ‘to take’. I interpret that to mean that when we deceive someone we may be taking from them something of great value! When we are deceived something of great value can be taken from us.
In John chapter 8 we are warned that the Devil is the father of lies!
During my illness deception was like having scales on my eyes; scales on my heart; scales on my mind; and scales on my spirit! Everything was distorted because of those scales!
The devil deceived me of who I was - he had stolen my identity!
I was deceived about what I could achieve - I believed that the little I could do was worthless! So my value was stolen!
I was deceived about my faith – the devil mocked me and constantly told me how God continued to let me suffer! My faith was distorted!
I was deceived about God's goodness and grace – it was stolen from me!
I couldn’t see my value and I couldn’t see the purpose in all my suffering. All I could see was the pain and the lies that I was not worthy!

In contrast to the father of lies we have a heavenly Father of truth and justice as declared in Isaiah 45: God has bold promises for us. If we seek Him we can find Him. The LORD speaks only what is true and declares only what is right! God has spoken the truth and will never go back on His word! Every knee will bend to God and every tongue will declare allegiance to Him! (NLT paraphrased).
God reminded me that I'm a child of God!
God reminded me that I can do all things, that He sets before me to do, for the Lord strengthens us for good works!
God is faithful!
God is good!
God is gracious!
God is mighty to save!

I am so grateful that Jesus broke through that place and removed the scales from me!
2 Corinthians chapter 3 talks about the Glory of the New Covenant, that this new glorious covenant enables us to be right with God! Then it continues into chapter 4 in verses 1 and 2 where it promises that God is merciful and gives us a ‘new way’ if we never give up! We are urged to reject all shameful deeds; underhanded methods; tricks and distortions of God’s word.
Today embrace that new covenant! Cry out to God; ask Him to make a way forward; ask Him to enable you to live in truth and wisdom!

Proverbs 12 verse 20 warns us about plotting evil as it will have deceit fill our hearts. The verse implores us to plan peace so that joy will reside in our hearts. Seek God for His peace that transcends your own understanding, so that He may fill you with joy! This is promised in Philippians 4:6-7 (NIV): “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”

“When something robs you of your peace of mind, ask yourself if it is worth the energy you are expending on it. If not, then put it out of your mind in an act of discipline. Every time the thought of “it” returns, refuse it.” Kay Arthur


So with this all in mind, let us grasp hold of God’s wonderful promises for us! Let’s allow Him to remove all lies and deceit from our lives so we can fully embrace the Glorious New Covenant and be right with God!

Keona Tann has lived most of her life in the beautiful Australian state - Tasmania. She has been married to her college sweetheart for over 20 years. Keona and her husband consider themselves extremely blessed to be raising 2 wonderful teenagers. They have also been long time child sponsors with Compassion. Keona's working life has seen her develop over 15 years of customer service experience. Health issues have plagued her for 28 years and over the past 2 years have been severely debilitating. Seeking direction from God her passion for writing was recently reignited. Writing the following mission statement: "I desire to impact the world through the words I share. I long to enrich, empower and encourage others whilst delivering my stories with empathy and understanding." she hopes to launch her new career soon.

1 comment:

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.